Our history of providing health care began in the 1930’s when Wilder Clinic offered free and low-cost heath care at the Miller Hospital. In 1971, when Miller Hospital and Saint Luke’s Hospital merged to become United Hospital, we transitioned to the Helping Hand Health Center under the direction of Dr. Tim Rumsey. Twenty years later, in 1992, the Helping Hand Health Center merged with another of United Hospital’s clinics to form the United Family Practice Health Center, dba United Family Medicine.
In 1993, we began the United Family Medicine Residency Program, training new physicians in primary healthcare for adults, seniors, and children.
We operated within the Allina Health System until 2004, when we earned our status as an independent Federally Qualified Health Center look-alike (FQHC-la). In 2012 we qualified for full FQHC status, meeting the requirements of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and solidifying our independent nonprofit business model.
Throughout our journey to clinic independence, we have retained our mission toward “excellence in delivering healthcare for all; training the providers of tomorrow”.
In 2009, we moved into our current home at Randolph Avenue and West 7th Street. This building allowed us to expand services and meet the health care demands of our growing community while contributing to the vitality of our region.